You may not know this about me but I am a little bit of a neat freak. And the Virgo in me just love to organize. Since sharing is caring, I thought I would share my closet organization tips. What are some of your tips for an organized closet?
- Color coordination. I do not know how I functioned before I color coordinated my closet. Since making the change I always know where to find each article of clothing. I also organized my garments by length. For example, my white tops are arranged by short to long sleeves.
- Slim hangers. I love slim hangers! I know that replacing hangers can be expensive but I think this is totally worth the investment. The Joy Mangano hangers are a bit pricey however you can find more affordable alternatives at Costco or Marshalls. Here are some of the benefits of using these hangers:
- Space savers- They doubled my closet space.
- Slip Resistant- The velvet material prevents your clothing from slipping.
- Visually appealing- I think these hangers give my closet a boutique feel. I love that they are available in many colors.
- Creative storage solutions. I am not a fan of many of the traditional closet organization tools. I find items such as over the door shoe racks and scarf/belt hangers to be bulky and visually unappealing. Instead, I try to use creative storage solutions. For example, I found a beautiful black lacquer box at Ross. I wasn’t sure how I would use the box but I knew I had to have it. The box turned out to be perfect for my sunglasses.
- Utilize vertical space. I had a hard time finding solutions for my scarves, hats, and belts. One day I walked into Big Lots and found lined baskets for $4 each. It was a major score! I now use the baskets to store my accessories. The baskets are placed on one of the shelves in my closet.
- Hide the clutter. I hate clutter. However I love handbags of all shapes and sizes. In keeping with utilizing the vertical space in my closet I store my small bags, clutches, and wallets in fabric storage cubes. My larger bags are on display on my closet shelf. This helps me to appreciate some of my bags without having to see all of them.
- One in, one out. I follow the one in, one out rule. Although I have a pretty decent sized closet, I know that space is finite. This rule prevents me from hoarding clothing. It is a hard rule to follow however it really works.